‘Now Don’t Get Me Wrong’ is a series of columns, except when it isn’t. Sometimes it might be a couple paragraphs. That’s on days when I have little to say, which hardly ever happens. Just ask my friends.
My blog is intended to be (mostly) humorous observations about my life here in suburban Marin County, CA. It’s important to note the word mostly in that last sentence. I write mostly from a lighthearted perspective. But don’t hold me to it. I’m post-menopausal but still, some days I’m simply not amused (in which case you won’t be either).
Anyway, I quit my real job in 1997 to see if I could get published. I was married then, and because we could afford for me to quit, my husband graciously supported the transition, both literally and figuratively.
Speaking of husbands, I was married to my high school sweetheart for 28 years. We had 36 great years together before we parted ways. (I hate the “D” word.) And to quote Forrest Gump, “That’s all I have to say about that.”
* I’m a freelance writer, which means I don’t make any money worth mentioning. So I won’t. For a taste of my articles, mostly travel-writing pieces, look under ‘My Published Stuff.’
* I’m a newbie blogger (as of late 2012); however, I’ve been writing for many years. This blog includes columns previously written, so feel free to check out my archives.
* I am the founder and president of a nonprofit feral cat rescue. This occupies most of my time, trapping feral community cats for spay/neuter, relocating unadoptable cats to new outdoor homes and educating the public about their humane care and management.
* I play USTA tennis and am in a couple tennis leagues. (This should make great blog material.) I work out when I’m not being lazy. And crazy enough, I recently learned to snowboard. I know what you’re thinking and I agree. Why is a woman of my age, who has osteopenia (bones about as strong as chalk) flying down a mountain while strapped to a narrow fiberglass board? Good question. And one, coincidentally, I will blog about.
* I’m childless, but not if you count my 3 godsons and a goddaughter. My furry family currently consists of 4 dogs and 5 cats. Plus, I almost always have a feral foster kitten or two in the mix.
* I’m a pescetarian. That means I don’t eat meat. Actually, I don’t partake of anything with a face, so that leaves out tuna, halibut, salmon and all those other fish with Betty Davis eyes and Mick Jagger lips. Can’t do it. I do, however, eat shrimp and scallops. I’m told shrimp have faces, but with my failing eyesight, there’s no way I can vouch for that. So, for the time being (or until my guilt wins out), shrimp shall remain faceless.
* I eat Bing cherries by the pound; I love Ann Rule’s true-crime novels; I’m a tad pigeon-toed; I have an older brother and sister; and I make a mean ginger-coconut martini and scrumptiously potent lemon drops.
So there you have it; a synopsis of my life. Now don’t get me wrong…I have lots more to say. Like I said, just ask my friends!
This will be fun for me to read your many stories. I’m happy for you that you finally got your blog up and running!!
Check that off your” bucket list” !!
Thanks Sharon! I hope you still say that when, in a couple weeks, you read the column that’s all about you. I suppose I should have asked your permission first. Oops….my bad. Do they still say that these days?
You finally did it! I’ve been asking you to start a blog. Now when I need a break from my cubical job, I can read one of your “mostly humorous” stories. Thanks, they always make me laugh!
Glad I can be of service…
being a sad newly empty nester, I take comfort and joy reading about your furry ones..
I’m glad you enjoy reading them as much as I like writing them. Hope you have some furry family of your own…
hi janet, and welcome to my blog, thanks for reading and following. best, beth